Friday, August 21, 2009

A bit of a rough week...

Hi everyone,

Let me just start off by saying that most importantly, Finley is perfectly fine and healthy. Momma on the other hand is experiencing some challenges. Today, I am 25 weeks...or Finley is actually. About a week ago, I started to develop a rash that I assumed was due to the heat...104 + belly...surely it must be a heat rash...a really really itchy one. I called my doctor to see what he wanted me to use and cortizone was the recommendation. I used this for the entire week along with Gold Bond Medicated Powder when I walked to keep it dry. Well, yesterday, I noticed that my "heat rash" was spreading...not good....that and the itching was and is becoming unbearable. I didn't notice it until pretty late into the day so I called the doctor and managed to miss his return call. I did what any person with modern day conveniences would do...I searched the internet. I found that there are 2 types of pregnancy rashes that fit my description...of which both sounded miserable. However, one could potentially harm Finn and the other would not. Of course, you know which I started praying for immediately (if it was going to have to be one of those). When I got in touch with my doctor today, he said that it sounded like PUPPP, the lesser of two evils. The problem is that there's really not much they can do for those of us who are unlucky enough to contract it. He was going to need to get me on steroids immediately if this was the case, but for obvious reasons, wanted to examine me to be certain of his diagnosis. SO, I went in crossing my fingers and praying that maybe...just maybe...it would be some kind of fungal rash that could be treated...and that it would GO AWAY! He took one look at it and just said, "Yeah...it's PUPPP" The reason that this is so baffling is because most women do not get this until late into their third trimester. At that point, it is still miserable, but they only have a few weeks to tough it out. My doctor is concerned for me since I will have to get through this for a much longer amount of time. Basically, it is like having chicken pox for 3 months...it spreads from your abdomen to your legs, arms, back...basically everywhere but your face (thank God for small miracles). Shortly after Finn arrives, it is supposed to clear up. Interestingly enough, 70% of the women who get this are carrying little boys so they believe that it may have to do with an enzyme they release that attacks the skin...lovely. The only really good thing is that it usually does not appear in subsequent pregnancies (or they tell you that so that you'll actually consider doing this again). Many doctors will actually induce pregnancy early due to the fact that most mothers with PUPPP simply cannot go any longer with those conditions..and they are weak from minimal sleep.

So tonight, I am beginning the steroids and the prescription cream...and I am praying with all my heart that it makes some kind of difference. I have to be honest and say that my spirits are down at the moment, but I know that this will all be worth it when Finn arrives. So...big prayer request...that Finn continues to stay healthy and that I can somehow manage my condition. Love & Faith

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw. I'm so sorry to hear that Amber-how uncomfortable, especially in this horrible heat! I hope the medications work and you get some relief soon.

    ReplyDelete

Finway Park

Finway Park
You have to love that!

Retired Jersey Wall

Retired Jersey Wall
I can name like 2 of them...but don't tell Kelly...

Take me out to the ballgame!

Take me out to the ballgame!
(vinyl letters rock!)

Finley's First Onesie

Finley's First Onesie
Courtesy of Aunt Brandi

The infamous Ebay pictures...

The infamous Ebay pictures...
Can you name them??

Our Patriotic Wall

Our Patriotic Wall

Coming along...

Coming along...
The middle of the wainscoting is the paint color

The beginning of the waines coating

The beginning of the waines coating
Doesn't Kelly do beautiful work?!

Painting the Room!

Painting the Room!
You wouldn't know how much Kelly hates to paint by this picture

The Big Reveal!

The Big Reveal!
Our faces when we found out we were having a BOY!! Only I really look surprised...